“Creativity is Intelligence Having Fun”
Remember the television advertisement we all saw where the little boy is home alone and trashes the houses with eggs, stationary, color and leaves the house in a mess while his mother comes over, comforts him for failing and actually helps him complete the experiment he wanted to administer? Well, although that is rather exaggerated because we all know what would happen in an Indian household for a house that looked like an air crash had occurred in it. However, we cannot help but wonder if every parent started hyping their child’s creativity and artistic nature (which may sometimes take odd turns, we agree)?
We have seen a massive rise in kids that want to be painters, actors, dancers, singers, musicians, directors and other professions where creativity and art is the main focus. In fact, the world has opened up to people who were confined by destiny or choices in other professions too! We see engineers becoming successful photographers (not just Farhan Qureshi from 3 Idiots), doctors become authors and what not!
Did you know that Walt Disney, the man that gave us Mickey Mouse and his gang of friends was told he “Lacked imagination” at a newspaper company where he worked as an editor? Jeff Bezos had a fluid career at the Wall Street in Computer Science. Martha Stewart was a full-time model and Terry Crews a renowned Basketball player. Some of the people we know today started off with completely different careers but thanks to their creativity and ability to struggle into what fit them best they were able to deliver to their fullest potential in the artistic field of their choice.
Now, for your Walt Disneys and Jeff Bezos who seem to be stuck in a world where conforming is the highest goal, how can you help them reach their full potential?
Parents may see that their child has a creative side to them, writing diaries, being interested in cars, music, acting and more can all be signs that your child is of a creative mindset which needs to fostered. Here are 5 tips to support your child in the field they find happiness in:
- Enroll them: Every field and industry now have courses that kids can take, whether it is app development or acting. When you find out your child has a passion beyond the books let them explore that horizon by finding out what courses they can take. Writing, directing, acting, painting, development, the list is endless for students to partake in.
- Discover with them: Let your child discover their talents by encouraging them, not just by words but also by actions. If your child is interested in flowers, take them to sanctuaries and forest lands close by for them to look, learn and explore. If your child likes stand up comedy and enjoys writing, take them to shows that they can watch and take inspiration from.
- Guide them: Creativity is a linear process. We see children learn and excel at instruments and them abandoning them when they have received the grade they wanted to. Allow the child to focus on learning more then achieving mastery. Mastery comes over time and practice with its own share of mistakes.
- Allow questioning: you may not know all the answers but you can help them find answers. Questioning is a major part of active learning and unlearning. Your child asking questions and you encouraging them through the process is the best way to help ignite their creative mind.
- Don’t stop dreaming: sadly, we live in a society where creative individuals and artists are often told to find ‘real jobs’. No matter what, do not allow taunts and criticism to take over your child’s passion. Stand with them through it all. Your child needs your support the most. Allow your child to be original. The voices back down when a parent stands up!
- Finding the right school: a school that supports your child just as much as you is not impossible to find. The best schools in Bangalore and top 10 icse schools in Bangalore like New Horizon Public School (NHPS) work with the parent to help their child reach their full potential and achieve their dreams, no matter what that might be.
Make mistakes, get messy, don’t stop encouraging, be open-minded while also allowing your child to isolate and work alone. Education is no more bound by books; it is multifold. Dance, music, theatre, film making, sports, are all given the same importance as a doctorate, engineering, accountancy, etc. What your child chooses depends on how liberal and understanding you are going to be. So, take the opportunity and let your child work their way out with flying colors!
New Horizon Educational Institutions (NHEI) has fostered creative individuals for over 50+ years now.
Known to be the best icse school in Bangalore among the list of icse schools in Bangalore New Horizon Public School (NHPS) has more than just education to offer. NHPS works on your child’s strength and finds out what they aspire to be while encouraging and instilling in them the belief that can achieve every goal!
Choose one of the top 10 icse school in Bangalore/best icse school in Bangalore for your child today!